This course will introduce you to the art behind developing an impactful sermon or teaching. Discussion will be centred on the creation and delivery techniques utilized when developing both an expository and topical approach to sermon writing in order to reach a contemporary audience.
Academic Level Assignment
Ministry Level Reflection
The purpose of this course is to develop an understanding and appreciation for communicating God’s Word of truth. There is an art to being able to preach and teach the theological and spiritual words of Scripture. This course will help you to answer the questions of ‘why’ and ‘how’ we go about preaching in a world that is plagued by sin and brokenness.
At a more detailed level, you will focus on the following to help you pursue this goal:
- Analyse the nature of biblical preaching.
- Articulate the value and authority of Scripture.
- Understand the importance of utilizing and interpreting Scripture properly.
- Understand why we need preaching.
- Articulate the history and origin of Christian preachers in the church.
- Answer objections to the value of preaching and teaching.
- Understand the challenges of preaching to Post-moderns and the contemporary audience.
- Understand the key tasks involved in preparing the message.
- Understand expository preaching.
- Elaborate on the connection between preaching and evangelism.
You will find a more detailed list of objectives in each Study Block under “What you will learn”.
To complete this course you must
- View/listen to the lecture videos in conjunction with the Power Points
- Read the appropriate sections of the book and the articles
- 2 “multiple-choice” Quizzes (Ministry and Academic Levels)
- 1 Reflection (Ministry Level)
- 1 Assignment (Academic Level)
- Attend all Zoom group discussions
Basic Course Information
- Time: 11 weeks
- Lectures: 8 sessions of 30-50 minutes each with accompanying Power Points
- Literature: Between Two Worlds by John Stott and various Articles
The book has two titles, but the same contents. Purchase either of the books.
- Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today by John Stott. Reprint Edition. Eerdmans.
- Between Two Worlds: The Art of Preaching in the Twentieth Century by John Stott. Eerdmans.
Both are available in paperback and Kindle formats.
Those studying at Academic Level are expected to apply the guidelines given in Writing an Academic Essay: A Brief Overview by Quinton Howitt AND the Turabian Referencing Style Sheet from Trinity Bible College and Graduate School.
Rich Nathan has been serving since 1987, as the first senior pastor of the Vineyard Columbus. Prior to pastoring, Rich taught business law at The Ohio State University for five years. He is a graduate of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, and received his Juris Doctorate with honours from The Ohio State University College of Law in 1980. He is a popular national and international conference speaker. Rich has also written Who is My Enemy? Welcoming People the Church Rejects, co-authored the book, Empowered Evangelicals with Ken Wilson, and co-authored the book, Both-And: Living the Christ-Centred Life in an Either-Or World with Insoo Kim. Rich was born and raised in New York City, is married to Marlene and has two adult children and six grandchildren.